Avoiding Period Pain
Period or menstrual cycle is a gift (YES?), However, it is accompanied by some difficulties, like mood changes, feeling tired, irritability, bloating and cramps.
All symptoms often resolve around the start of bleeding, but pain may last for a day or two.
Cramps (period pain) are normal and occur when uterus muscles contract, causing uterus lining to pass away from your body as menstrual flow.
How to get ready?
You should be ready for these changes; off course comes first, using MyDays App to mark your calendar so that you are in control and they won’t disturb your schedule, then, there are various non-drug remedies to beat period cramps:
Exercise: How does exercise help? The first side is that exercise increases blood flow to the muscles which helps relieve the cramps, the other side is that exercise releases endorphins which interact with your brain and reduce your perception of pain, and also reduce stress. Considering women tiredness and mood state during menstruation time, thus, low-intensity exercises are highly recommended, such as walking, cycling, swimming, Zumba… whatever makes heartbeat up moderately.
Yoga poses: Yoga has proven to eliminate pain and discomfort during menstruation; You may have already done this without knowing it’s a yoga pose, come to see other helpful poses your body didn’t discover yet:
Knees to Chest
Eat Magnesium-Rich Food: Magnesium is the mineral that’s often associated with easing cramps, foods which contains magnesium:
- Green leafy vegetables (e.g., spinach and kale)
- Fruit (figs, avocado, banana, and raspberries)
- Nuts and seeds.
- Legumes (black beans, chickpeas and, kidney beans)
- Vegetables (peas, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, artichokes, asparagus, brussels sprouts)
- Seafood (salmon, mackerel, tuna)
- Dark Chocolate
Heat: Heating pad help to relax the myometrium, reducing constriction of blood vessels and improving blood flow to the uterus. Even a hot water bottle or hot shower will do the job.
- Cut down the intake of salt, sweet and spicy foods. So skip the potato chips calling your name.
- Skip the Caffeine. Say No to Joe… Instead, you can try lemonade and herbal tea.
- Avoid taking painkillers on an empty stomach. Take pain relievers only after food.
SO, you are strong, positive and in-control, but if you lost sometimes, no problem, for no pain, no gain. You will pass it and enjoy the renewed version of you.